The Office of Engineering Professional Practice is here to help you successfully find an academically relevant co-op or internship assignment. Follow the steps below for resources and tips to accelerate your future.
As students will be on-campus during the fall semester, please know that UT and our Engineering Professional Practice office is still open with limited staffing during the semester. We advise contacting our office via email or phone prior to stopping in to ensure the person you might want to see is on campus. Our Professional Practice advisors and ambassadors can still connect with you via email, phone, Zoom, FaceTime or Skype to help provide guidance.
You may connect with us by contacting our office at email@example.com or reaching out to your Professional Practice advisor directly. Students with last names A-L should contact Tonya Shortt and students with last names M-Z should contact Suzanne Sawicki.
Before the Expo
- Set up an account with our office.
- Attend orientation with a student ambassador in our office. No appointment necessary.
- Make an appointment to meet with your Engineering Professional Practice advisor upon completion of orientation.
- Create your resume and upload it to our ProConnect system prior to meeting with your Engineering Professional Practice advisor.
- Practice your elevator pitch.
- Complete a mock interview with a student ambassador.
- Research attending companies.
- Attend virtual Prep for Success events.
- Obtain suitable professional attire for the Expo and Interview Days.
- Prepare your professional portfolio including 10-15 printed resumes.
On Expo Day
- Sign in to your ProConnect account and enter the virtual Engineering Expo.
- Use the employer list to locate companies of interest.
- Network and convey your worth to the companies.
- Ensure the employer has your resume.
- Be available to answer phone.
Before the Interview
- Research the company: What products or services do they provide? What is their mission? Etc.
- Write down questions to ask during your interview.
- Review typical interview questions.
On Interview Day
- Wear appropriate business professional attire.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your interview begins.
- Check in via your ProConnect account.
- Thank your interviewer(s) and ask for their contact information before leaving.
- Send a “Thank You” email to your interviewers.
After Receiving an Offer
- Notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org of your offer.
- For a co-op, fill out a degree plan then approve it with your academic advisor.
- Return approved document to your professional practice advisor.
- Take Certificate of Registration to OneStop to ensure your scholarships are held while on assignment.
- Adjust campus housing plans and/or campus meal plans if working away from UT.
- Be on the lookout for information from your employer about your assignment.
- First Day:
- Pack your lunch.
- Arrive early.
- Bring required documentation to Human Resources.
- Obtain at least one high-quality photo of yourself in your workplace.
- Watch for emails to complete your end-of-semester report.