The Office of Engineering Professional Practice is here to help you successfully find an academically relevant co-op or internship assignment. Follow the steps below for resources and tips to accelerate your future.
Before the Expo
- Set up an account with our office.
- Attend orientation with a student ambassador in our office. No appointment necessary.
- Make an appointment to meet with your Engineering Professional Practice advisor upon completion of orientation.
- Create your resume and upload it to our ProConnect system prior to meeting with your Engineering Professional Practice advisor.
- Practice your elevator pitch.
- Complete a mock interview with a student ambassador.
- Research attending companies.
- Attend virtual Prep for Success events.
- Obtain suitable professional attire for the Expo and Interview Days.
- Prepare your professional portfolio including 10-15 printed resumes.
On Expo Day
- Sign in to your ProConnect account and enter the virtual Engineering Expo.
- Use the employer list to locate companies of interest.
- Network and convey your worth to the companies.
- Ensure the employer has your resume.
- Be available to answer phone.
Before the Interview
- Research the company: What products or services do they provide? What is their mission? Etc.
- Write down questions to ask during your interview.
- Review typical interview questions.
On Interview Day
- Wear appropriate business professional attire.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your interview begins.
- Check in via your ProConnect account.
- Thank your interviewer(s) and ask for their contact information before leaving.
- Send a “Thank You” email to your interviewers.
After Receiving an Offer
- Notify us at email@example.com of your offer.
- For a co-op, fill out a degree plan then approve it with your academic advisor.
- Return approved document to your professional practice advisor.
- Take Certificate of Registration to OneStop to ensure your scholarships are held while on assignment.
- Adjust campus housing plans and/or campus meal plans if working away from UT.
- Be on the lookout for information from your employer about your assignment.
- First Day:
- Pack your lunch.
- Arrive early.
- Bring required documentation to Human Resources.
- Obtain at least one high-quality photo of yourself in your workplace.
- Watch for emails to complete your end-of-semester report.