Helping students add paid, educationally relevant work experience to their education is important at the University of Tennessee.
As we move through 2020, we continue to see unprecedented growth in student and employer participation and now the expansion of our program beyond traditional co-ops and internships into other areas of engineering student enrichment. Our program, which helps students add experience to their education, has been in existence since 1926. It’s the second oldest program of its kind in the south and one of the nation’s oldest. We are dedicated to helping engineering students find educationally relevant paid co-op and internship positions with one of our hundreds of participating employers.
Recent Key Accomplishments
- The fall 2019 Engineering Expo was our largest ever with 108 employers and 1104 students attending.
- The spring 2019 Engineering Expo was our largest employer-attended spring event in our history, with 92 employers and 807 students attending.
- We had over 1,300 students, faculty, and staff attend the fall 2019 Engineering Cookout, making it one of the largest annual engineering events at UT.
- In March 2018, we held the seventh annual Engineering Professional Practice Spring Banquet.
- In AY19, 42 percent of graduating engineering seniors completed at least one co-op or internship assignment during their time at UT. Over the past ten years of senior classes, on average,
2018-2019 Annual Report
Download a digital copy of the report.
Top 30 Employers
ORNL continues to place the most co-op students, with DENSO, Altec, Southern Company, Eastman Chemical Company, and others consistently placing students year after year.
Top Employers Placements: Academic Year 2017-2018
Employer Attendance is on the Rise
Our program has experienced consistent growth in Engineering Expo employer attendance since AY2010-11. After a record-setting employer attendance in the fall of 2018 and the spring of 2019, our employer attendance in fall of 2019 again set a new record for employer participation
Student Attendance is Strong
The student attendance at the 2019 spring and fall expos have set new records. The fall student attendance was a nearly 14 percent year-over-year increase over fall 2018 and a 326 percent increase over fall 2010, while the increase in student attendance in spring 2019 was a 22 percent year-over-year increase and a 271 percent increase over 2010.