Boxin Xu is an electrical engineering PhD student who completed a co-op with BSH this past summer. He wrote about his experience below.
My key responsibilities and projects were to assist in performing several testing include:
- Energy test, leakage current, electric strength, moisture resistance, mechanical stability, construction and heat & fire resistance based on UL 60335-1 and UL 60335-2 on prototype model
- Expand EMC testing room by setting up acoustic insulation material and TestLab software to perform radiated & conducted emissions and immunity testing
- Conduct PLC programming with Siemens TIA portal to setup alarm system for R600-a testing room to prevent catastrophic gas leak accident
- Program LabVIEW software to integrate electrical testing instrument to perform UL testing
- Handle different power tools to facilitate hands-on tasks.
It is very helpful for my understanding of how the compliance works and learned a lot of electrical knowledge. I have gained a lot of knowledge on how company works and what compliance engineering does. I also have learned a lot about the UL (underwriters laboratories) testing standard, plus how to interpret the electrical wiring layout of European standards and to master the LAD (ladder logic) language.